Thursday, September 16, 2010

Our son...



I just read an article entitled, "Wake Up Everybody: To Save Black Boys" by James Ewers. It's basically a call to action letting everyone know that traditional institutions of learning are not geared or even concerned with the overall welfare of the average black male. While it is not the overall responsibility of these institutions to raise our children it is common knowledge that left to their own devices these places are not the most holistic or healthy learning environment for our boys. Yet another reason I am thankful for the opportunity to homeschool.

In an attempt to prolong and preserve as much of the creativity and openness my son exudes in his daily interactions we homeschool with the understanding that he is a unique and valuable person not only to us but the world. We are raising him with no limits ~ no presumptions ~ no prejudices to his potential. He is growing and learning at a pace that works for him.

Every day I marvel at the creative and loving nature of my nine year old son. He is my only son and growing up much too fast (for me anyway). I read the studies and statistics that talk about the plight of the urban black male... it distresses me to know that he will someday be looked at as something other than the imaginative and versatile person he is. He does not fit into the box and/or categories America groups young black men into. It is my hope he never will.
I know this is a little chaotic in context but today was just another day he amazed me with something as simple as retelling yet another dream.... keep dreaming son.... keep dreaming...

No comments:

Post a Comment